Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 26: Happy July Fourth!

{7.4.12}
Today was such an easy and relaxing day!  I finished the introduction to the research manuscript that I'm required to write, paired Big Buddies in our medical school "college" (which is similar to the "colleges" that UT Southwestern put people into) with incoming members, and spent another 4 hours sewing a stuffed raccoon (picture to be posted.)  I realized that my fingers don't have quite the dexterity that they used to and that sewing is harder than I thought! The craft was meant for 8 year olds but I think if I was an 8 year old, I would have given up half and hour into the sewing.

For dinner, Kevin, me and Kevin's mom (who is visiting from Austin to help him buy furniture for his new townhouse) went to Merlion, which is 2 min walking distance from where I'm staying in Southern Village.  They serve Singaporean food, which turns out to be a melange of Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysia, and Indian food. Quite a cultural melting pot.

This is Stuffed You Tiao, which is a  shrimp-calamari filling topped with fresh mango salad, sesame seed and creamy dressing. Very delicious sauce!
This was Kevin's pick, Roti Prata with Chicken Curry served with Crisped Indian  pancakes (naan?) and chicken and potato curry.   
This was my pick, Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice.: Tender steamed chicken with a side of rice cooked in rich chicken consommé.  Served with a trio ensemble of chili, sesame ginger and sweet soy sauce.
This is Kevin's mom's pick.  Didn't know what it was called but it has eggplant and shrimp and was spicy!

We saw the neighbor's cat going home:
So cutteee =)


For July 4th fireworks, we went to UNC's Kenan Stadium, where an estimated 20,000-50,000 were also there.  The first 10,000 people got glow in the dark sticks!
This was my first experience seeing fireworks so close up. I couldn't stop saying "Whoa!"  I don't think photos or videos can ever do justice to how amazing fireworks are.

No comments:

Post a Comment